Hope for Housing – the rebirth of Community-Led Housing
juli 9 @ 08:00 - 17:00
BIRMINGHAM AND WEST MIDLANDS RESEARCH CONFERENCE – July 9 2018
Following the announcements of a Community Housing Fund in December 2016, and November 2017 we are anticipating an acceleration of activity in the community housing space, with new regional hubs already established in Leeds, Bristol, London and East Midlands (adding to existing umbrella organisations). There is great interest in enabling and influencing here in Birmingham and the West Midlands; with our rich heritage of co-operative and resident controlled housing and strong current interest in community-led housing.
This event will engage with activists, practitioners, policy makers and academics to promote community-led housing in Birmingham and the West Midlands. We are seeking the participation of community-led housing projects including start-ups, existing community anchor organisations and well established housing co-operatives, Tenant Management Organisations, enabling bodies such as local authorities, housing associations, legal and financial advisers and architects across the region and will be inviting national and international experts from policy, research and practice.
The conference aims to connect international academic research, local community activism and policy debates and support community-led housing in Birmingham and the West Midlands. Some key questions to be explored include:
- What are the key messages from international research on collaborative housing?
- How will the Community Housing Fund change things in England?
- How can we collaborate to achieve long-term impacts in Birmingham and the West Midlands?
- What makes community housing different? -balancing collaboration and empowerment for community benefit
- Is it all about new groups building new homes? – what is the role of refurbishing existing homes and expanding the role of existing community anchor organisations?
- Can community-led housing offer fresh options for private renters and social tenants?
- How can community-led housing address housing supply, housing need and affordability?
- Hope for Housing- how can we make things happen here and now?
Programmet för konferensen finns här.